My Published Work

MY PUBLISHED WORK
Rebuilding Year Breakthrough Game Box of Cows Spirit Legends Anthology Fantasy Paranormal Anthology - I

Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Indiependence - So Good I Couldn’t Pick One

http://indeliblewriters.blogspot.fi/2013/06/indiependence-day-2013.html

I should say that I read huge amounts of independent and small press authors. Until very recently I had an independent bookstore not far from my house and I got almost all my books through him. The store is gone now but I still read mostly independent and small press, so I couldn’t pick just one.

One lucky commenter will win an e-book copy of one of the titles I talk about in this post.


First let me touch on a book that I am reading now, Forbidden Kin, a romance by T.M. Hobbs published by Books To Go Now.

http://www.amazon.com/Forbidden-Kin-ebook/dp/B00ASNZ5UY/ref=sr_1_5?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1372606953&sr=1-5

I got this book recently. I got it because I read her first novel Wings of Fate and really enjoyed it. There is a subtle joy to everything this author writes and she always delivers a happy ever after ending. This is the author’s first Regency, she normally writes paranormal, and I can’t wait to see how she handles a new sub-genre.

Next is The Halfling’s Court by Danielle Ackley-McPhail published by Dark Quest books
I read this when it first came out. I had originally thought of submitting a story to the first Bad-Ass Fairies collection, but didn’t (truth be told I’m still working up my nerve to submit to an anthology from this publisher) so when that collection came out I gobbled it up. When I read the story At The Crossroads by this author my first reaction was “What? You can’t leave me there! This needs to be a novel!” When it became a novel I bought it and just sat down and read the whole thing. I know nothing about motorcycles or Biker Gangs (the last person to own a motorcycle in my family was my great-uncle and I think it was an Indian made for the Military) but the combination of them and fairies still sticks with me. I still wonder about these characters and I come back to this author time and time again. She has a new novel in the series that came out in May that I haven’t had a chance to read yet, but I will have by the end of the month, because I am saving it for my birthday mid month. Yeah, these are birthday present good.

My last book is Zombie Fallout by Mark Tufo published by Mark Tufo.
I guess the header on my blog points this out, but I am part of the Boston diaspora. That plays into my love of this series. Mike, the main character, is also part of the Boston diaspora and the pacing of the dialog and word choice shows it very clearly. This is a light hearted zombie story and I spent the whole time laughing. And sometimes you just need a good laugh, these were suggested to me just after the Marathon bombing and I wish I could tell you who suggested them but it has slipped my mind, but I really did need a good laugh. These books are in first person, in the form of journals and Mike could pass for my husband who has many of the same issues and preferences (mind you my husband is a hockey fan and not much into baseball)these books are character based so from time to time the plot can meander a bit, but those meanders show the traits of the characters off and for the length of seven books I just floated away with Mike and his family.

5 comments:

  1. GAK! Zombies... :D I know how you feel, though. I could barely pick one myself. Thanks so much for participating! Happy 4th, Elizabeth! :o) <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are so many good small and independent books out! Heck, some I read as Independent or small press are now Big Publisher, like Monsterhunter International!
      It’s good for readers that we have so many options now, but it makes it harder for authors to get noticed, so I was glad to hear about this hop

      Delete
    2. Hey LTM send me your e-mail and let me know what book you want and I will send it your way!

      Delete
  2. Dear Elizabeth,

    Do I take it you live near where Between Books was? My heart is broken either wy. Not enough indy bookstores around, let alone ones as cool as Greg's.

    Anyway, thank you so much for reading and enjoying both Bad-Ass Faeries and the Halfling's Court. I am honored that my work rated inclusion in this post and I hope very much that you enjoy The Redcap's Queen as well. I had a blast writing it...so much so that I am already working on the next volume The High King's Fool (tentative title).

    Best, and Happy Birthday, early!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I live near Between Books – er nearish to where it was. Delaware is a book desert now. Well we have a B+N, but that’s not the same. We didn’t just lose a store; we lost a community when he closed.

      I’ve been going along saying “This is the first book by (insert the author) I’ve bought not from Greg” and Red Cap Queen will be the first one of yours.

      I couldn’t do this blog hop without including your books. I just couldn’t.

      Delete